Flood Risk Education in Schools Campaign
Stormwater Floodplain Simulation Model Sponsorship Program
The goal of this initiative is to get WARD’s Stormwater Floodplain Simulation System into the school systems with priority focus on inner-city schools who could not otherwise afford to purchase the model on their own. Special emphasis will be on schools located in floodplains and/or in areas that have experienced recent flooding. The benefits of this campaign will be to:
· Help children who have been through a flood understand it from an engineering and scientific standpoint in order to process the trauma and give them a sense of control over their world.
· Raise awareness of the benefits of properly managed water resources and promote the profession of floodplain management to students through hands on-demonstrations and lessons.
Resources Provided to the Recipient:
· One Stormwater Floodplain Simulation System with custom case for use in youth education and outreach.
· One master set of lesson plan materials for use with the model.
· Template promotional materials including a tri-fold brochure, press release, and photo release
· A list of local TV, radio and print media including names/contact information for use in promoting their events (upon request). Media is especially receptive to cover training events held on flood anniversaries.
Expectations: Minimum Implementation Criteria
Recipients will be required to comply with the following minimum program implementation criteria:
· Train a minimum of five presenters in use of the model at the recipient's expense and require that presenters using the model be trained prior to use. Mark Walton can assist the chapter in locating a trainer for this purpose.
· Provide presenter training on use of the model for attendees at their annual conference or training workshop at least every other year for no additional cost to attendees.
· Schedule and present the model at a minimum of four youth venues (schools, youth organizations, etc.) over the course of each year making the goals outlined above a priority.
· Promote the project within their organization, communities, state, and schools. Issue press releases or seek local media coverage of the demonstration as often as possible.
· Maintain a list of trained presenters, schedule of venues, and complete After Action Reports for each offering on the Facebook Page.
· Post regular updates of events and activities, including photos on the Campaign's Facebook Page.
· Complete and submit an Annual Report to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining the activities of the last year. All of these activities must have previously been posted on the Facebook Page. Your accomplishments will be presented at the ASFPM National Conference and a prize will be given to the group who has done the most to achieve the campaign goals.
· Assume responsibility for any repair or replacement cost (~$1,800) of the model or the case while it is in their possession.
Selection Process & Notice: The Flood Risk Education in Schools Campaign Committee will select an annual recipient to receive a model from OPP by evaluating the information and documentation provided in this application.