JOB ANNOUNCEMENT – ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
The MinKwon Center for Community Action invites applications for an
. The Assistant Director will work closely with our Executive Director, program staff, and administrative/development staff to help guide and lead our award-winning program work, administrative & development efforts, and strategic direction as one of New York’s most vibrant social justice organizations.
Organization History & Mission
The MinKwon Center for Community Action was established in 1984 as the Young Korean American Service & Education Center (YKASEC) to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies, voter rights, and cultural awareness. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting
the needs of our marginalized community members, including youth, elderly, recent immigrants, low-income residents, and limited-English-proficient residents.
would work closely with our Executive Director, Board of Directors and senior leadership to execute the vision and mission of the organization; help strengthen, implement and expanding core program work and operations; serve as liaison to coalition allies, other community groups and elected officials; and provide senior leadership to internal oversight, administrative, communications, and development efforts. Responsibilities include:
: work with Executive Director, senior leadership and Board of Directors to:
- Oversee programs, staff and responsibilities,
- Monitor and evaluate organizational development for continuous improvement,
- Shape and implement organizational priorities to support strategic goals,
- Implement and execute long and short-term evaluation and planning cycles,
- Ensure that the highest level of organizational excellence is achieved and maintained.
External Leadership & Representation
: work with Executive Director & senior leadership to:
- Represent MinKwon in public, including public speaking and working with the media, community leaders, advocacy groups, and others,
- Expand and manage ongoing external relationships and serve as primary staff liaison with key stakeholders.
: work with Executive Director and senior leadership to:
- Define programmatic vision and strategy.
- Oversee the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs
- Manage and integrate program work across the organization.
Finance & Administrative
: work with Executive Director and admin/development staff to:
- Identify and develop additional funding sources and strategies
- Track and monitor organizational budget, cash management and financial reporting,
- Establish and monitor effective personnel systems to support and motivate staff;
- Upgrade, organize, and manage the ongoing administrative operations.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
- 5+ years in relevant progressive experience, including in a leadership/management role;
- Experience in community activism and familiarity with Korean American, Asian American or immigrant community issues strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated interest, experience and commitment to working on social justice issues, such as immigrants’ rights and civil rights;
- Ability to work closely and with sensitivity and tact with Board, senior leadership and staff to set priorities and execute programs in a close-knit team environment;
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future opportunities and consequences, creatively problem solve, exercise good judgment and lead change;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including strong group facilitation, public speaking and writing skills;
- Excellent organizational skills including detail orientation, multi-tasking, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines and proven ability to problem-solve;
- Strong project management skills with attention to detail, ability to execute and bring innovative ideas;
- Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and inspire participation and utilization of services with potential clients, board of directors, volunteers and staff
- Previous supervisory experience (preferred);
- Strong communication skills in Korean (desired);
- Experience in fundraising including relationship development and management (desired)
- Exceptional work ethic, committed and passionate about the mission;
- Ability and willingness to participate in regular evening/weekend events.
The MinKwon Center will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please prepare and send a detailed cover letter and resume describing your interest in the organization and position to:
MinKwon Center for Community Action
Flushing, NY 11354
Phone: 718-460-5600, Fax: 718-445-0032