Burning Permit Rules:
· Burning is allowed between sunrise and sunset only.
· Burning is allowed in Bruce Township year around
· Burning is allowed in the Village of Romeo only during the months of April and May, October and November
· Permits are valid for no more than four (4) days
· Materials approved for burning are wood, brush, tree stumps, branches, hedge clippings, leaves, and grass clippings- NO BUILDING MATERIALS
· Burning of garbage, animal carcasses, refuse, trash, rubbish, or like materials giving off foul odors is prohibited
· All fires must be at least 20 feet from buildings, fences or other combustible materials
· No fire shall be set at a time when a high wind is blowing
· A force of persons sufficient to control the fire shall be on hand at all times of burning
· Applicant shall be liable for all damage to property, which may result from burning done under this permit
Part 515 of Act 451 of 1994 as amended provides that:
You must have a permit to have an open fire.
Any person who maliciously sets a fire which endangers human life or destroys the property of another, may upon conviction, be assessed a fine of not more than $10,000, or imprisonment for a term of not more than 10 years or both such fine and imprisonment.
Any person who sets a fire without taking responsible precautions to prevent the escape thereof or leaves the fire before it is extinguished is guilt of a misdemeanor.
Any person who negligently allows a fire to escape is liable for all expenses incurred by the Bruce-Romeo Fire Department in the suppression of such fire.
Any permit issued may be revoked if conditions are not met or if burning can not be done safely.
This permit does not supersede any other Act, Ordinance, or rule, which further restricts or prohibits the setting of fires.
Any person, firm, or corporation who violates any provision of the Open Burning Ordinance, shall, upon conviction thereof, be subject to payment of a civil fine of not to exceed $500.00 and/or by improsonment for a period not to exceed 90 days.
By submitting this Burn Permit Request Form, I confirm that I have read the above rules and regulations, understand them and agree to abide by these rules and regulations.
If you have any Any questions, please contact the Bruce-Romeo Fire Department (586) 752-2520