Information for the Undergraduate and Graduate Speaker Audition
Student speakers are an important part of Commencement as they represent their graduating class, the faculty members who have nurtured their academic growth, and the staff who have provided them with support and guidance. Each semester, we select one undergraduate and one graduate speaker. Candidates for a bachelor’s degree who have achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher are eligible to compete in the undergraduate speaker category. All master’s degree candidates are eligible to audition in the graduate category. All students must be in good academic and judicial standing to be eligible. Once chosen, the speakers will be required to attend coaching sessions with a faculty member.
Students will be auditioning in front of a selection committee. Please bring 8 copies of your speech to the audition. Your speech should last no longer than 5 minutes. As a general guideline, 1 typed page (double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12 pt) equals 2 minutes.
Please note that the registration deadline has been extended to Wednesday, March 13, 2019. Auditions will be held on Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 12:30 p.m. in the Ching Conference Center located on the second floor of Eiben Hall.
Below are some tips to help prepare and deliver your speech:
About the content:
· There should be a well-organized and clear message.
· The speech should be intelligent, creative and original. Avoid the use of clichés.
· You should have something relevant and significant to say to the student body and attendees.
· The speech should be appropriate for graduation. The speech should be respectful of all attendees and be congratulatory in nature.
· While your idea might be about yourself, be sure to make it relevant to the audience - other graduates and their families. You can speak about yourself, but remember this is not about you, it is about the whole class. The content should be easily understood by those inside and outside the University.
· The speech should have a memorable conclusion.
About the delivery:
· You should connect with the audience – establish a relationship, make eye contact, have stage presence.
· The speech should be coherent and you should use appropriate volume and pacing.
· Show energy and personality.
· Use gestures and vary your tone.
· Deliver your speech within the specified time (5 minutes).
· Everyone is nervous
· No one will know unless you tell them – verbally or nonverbally
· Be confident
· Know well what you want to say – organize it
· Present in an orderly fashion
To view videos of past commencement speakers, please visit our YouTube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/CUHCommencement