Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct is not intended to interfere with an athlete"s individual treatment plan
Statement of Purpose
The purpose of this Code of Conduct is to protect those affiliated with Special Olympics Utah from abuse, neglect, mistreatment, and exploitation and to help ensure that each individual is treated with the respect and dignity that should be afforded every human being.
Each individual is entitled to be treated with respect, dignity, and equality. No individual, in particular, no Special Olympics athlete, should be spoked to or of in a degrading or humiliating fashion. Youth, young adult, and adult athletes should be afforded the same respect that every individual of their chronological age would be afforded. Each individual involved with Special Olympics Utah should be recognized for their accomplishments and unique abilities.
Protection from Abuse
• No athlete shall be subjected to any form of physical, sexual or emotional abuse. No individual or volunteer
shall emotionally, physically, or sexually sexually abuse, exploit or mistreat any athlete or volunteer. All injuries to athletes, coaches, and volunteers will be reported to the proper medical personnel immediately.
• No person by acting, failing to act, encouragement to engage in, or failure to deter from will cause any athlete or volunteer to be subject to abuse, sexual abuse or sexual exploitation, neglect, exploitation or mistreatment.
• No person shall engage any athlete, as an observer or participant, in sexual acts.
• No person shall make unjust or improper use of an athlete or their resources for profit or advantage.
Acknowledgement of Responsibilities and Permissions
• I grant Special Olympics Utah permission to use my likeness, voice and words in television, radio, film or in any form to promote activities of Special Olympics Utah.
• I acknowledge that I will be using facilities at my own risk and I, on my own behalf, hereby release, discharge, and
indemnify Special Olympics Utah from all liability for injury to person or damage to my property.
The relationship between Special Olympics and volunteers is an ‘at will’ arrangement that may be terminated at any
time without cause by either the volunteer or Special Olympics Utah/Special Olympics.