Here are a few packing tips...
1. Separate your clothes into compression sacks (i.e. a bag for socks, a bag for underwear, etc)
2. Tie the provided ribbon (if traveling alone, a different color of your choice) onto every bag including your carry-on
3. Don't bring any entertainment stuff (except maybe 1 book or deck of cards)... it will just make your luggage heavier, and distract you from fully experiencing your trip!
4. Place a COPY of your passport in your CHECKED bag, and your ACTUAL passport in your CARRY-ON
5. Insert immunization record into passport (may request passport size from your physician office)
6. Consider rolling your clothes, instead of folding them (you can fit more, and they don't wrinkle as much)
7. Pack all liquids in ziploc bags, even if you don't think they can spill (pressure from flight elevation can cause spillage)
8. Pack an extra day bag (BESIDES CARRY-ON) in the bottom of your checked bag, for carrying essentials when not wanting your large backpack
9. Wear your heaviest clothes en route... you'll save space in your suitcase, and airplanes are usually cold!