Education Across Borders works in partnership with marginalized communities in the Dominican Republic to co-create lasting solutions to extreme poverty, through educational, community development, and service-learning programs.
This service-learning program is an immersion experience that will challenge you physically, mentally, and spiritually. It is also extremely rewarding, and great fun. Just be clear: it’s not a vacation, it’s a pilgrimage— an opportunity to work for change, and be changed in the process.
Participant Expectations & Responsibilities
Above all, we expect you to be PRESENT— physically, mentally, emotionally— in every aspect of the preparation process, the program in the Dominican Republic itself, and in the follow-up. We hope you’re doing this because you really want to, not because you want to fulfill a requirement or please someone else.
Mandatory Meetings and Events:
· Orientation/Introduction meeting
· 3-4 Preparation meetings, prior to departure
· Fundraising meetings as needed, including 3-4 hours of service at EAB March 23, 2019 event
· Written reflection (300-500 words) on experience, submitted by September 1, 2019
· 1 Re-orientation meeting after return
· Actively participate in meetings and reflections before, during, and after immersion
· Respect and adhere to school and EAB rules
· Be willing to maintain an open mind, to be flexible, and to stretch outside your comfort zone
Participants must commit themselves to uphold school and EAB policies in effect during all facets of the experience. The following policies will be discussed in further detail with those selected for the program, and full compliance is mandatory.
· Liability policy: A standard waiver must be signed and turned in on time.
· Alcohol/drugs: No alcohol, marijuana, or illegal drugs permitted. No exceptions.
· Behavior: A document with in-country behavior specifics will be distributed, and must be adhered to.
· Insurance/Injury: Proof of insurance must be provided; you will assume financial responsibility for any injuries.
· Payment: A payment schedule will be provided, and prompt payment expected.
· Attendance: see Mandatory meetings and events (above)
Please answer the following short essay questions in at least 200 words each.
References: Please list one non-family reference, either personal or professional
Thank you for considering this experience, and taking the time to complete this application. We look forward to contacting you.
“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
Education Across Borders is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization,
Federal Tax ID #81-0590067