The Illinois Latino Council on Higher Education (ILACHE) is pleased to offer two $1,000 scholarships to Latino/a students in Illinois who exhibit outstanding commitment to learning, community service, and leadership. ILACHE is an action oriented, independent advocacy group for Latinos in higher education in the areas of access and equity as it relates to employment, college admission representation, and educational legislation in the State of Illinois. An eligible applicant must be an Illinois resident who is an undergraduate college student currently enrolled full-time at a two or four-year regionally accredited college or university in the State of Illinois. Graduating high school seniors can apply but must be registered as a full-time student at an Illinois college or university in the Fall 2019 semester before the scholarship funds are disbursed.
PLEASE NOTE: You must complete this application in its entirety before submitting it. The system does not allow you to save it and return to complete it at another time. You can upload your personal essay and transcripts here and we recommend that you have your essay complete and transcripts available before starting the online application. The instructions for the essay are listed below in the "Personal Statement" section.
Selection Process: How are scholarship winners selected?
By submitting an ILACHE application, applicants consent to verification by the ILACHE Scholarship Committee of the information furnished herein. Selection will be based on careful review of the following areas:
1) campus involvement
2) community involvement
3) academic achievements and goals; and
4) career aspirations.
To be considered, an applicant must be an Illinois resident who is an undergraduate college student enrolled full-time at a four or two-year regionally accredited college or university in the State of Illinois. Graduating high school seniors can apply but must be registered as a full-time student at an Illinois college or university in the Fall 2019 semester before the scholarship funds are disbursed.
The ILACHE Scholarship Committee will verify enrollment before scholarship awards are disbursed. Past awardees are ineligible.
Application: What makes an application complete?
Applications are considered complete when the online scholarship application and essay are submitted and all required supporting documents are received. This online application form will allow you to upload your personal essay and copy of your transcript. The letters of recommendation can be sent by your recommendors to email@example.com (Please ask the recommendors to prepare the letter on official letterhead and send it as an attachment to the email address provided). The subject of the email should be formatted as follows, Recommendation - Last Name, First Name. (Example Recommendation - Lebron, Lolita). You can upload unofficial transcripts.
Applications are considered INCOMPLETE and will not be processed if any of the following are missing:
1) ILACHE Scholarship Online Application Form Fill-in all fields and submit online by clicking the "Submit" button that is below at the end of this form. Please remember that you will be asked to upload your personal statement, and you will need to have that ready in order to submit your application. (This application system does NOT allow you to save your work and return to it later.)
2) Personal Essay (Maximum 500 words) The essay is an important part of the ILACHE Scholarship Application Form. You can submit it online by clicking the button labeled "Upload your personal essay" that is below at the end of this form. We recommend that you write and proofread your essay before starting the online scholarship application. The instructions for the essay are listed below in the "Personal Statement" section.
3) Two (2) Letters of Recommendation At least one letter must be written by a current or past teacher or faculty member who can speak about an applicant's academic experience, community service, and leadership activities. Letters must be on letterhead, signed, and sent as attachment in PDF format to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please inform your recommenders that the subject of the email must indicate that it is a recommendation letter and include the applicant's name (Please ask that they use this format, Recommendation - Last Name, First Name). Please give your recommenders plenty of notice to write a letter on your behalf.
4) Transcripts Unofficial transcripts are acceptable and can be uploaded below in the transcripts section below.
If you are notified that you are a finalist, you will be required to submit recent official transcripts from the institution that you currently attend.
Deadline & Announcement of Scholarship Winners
Complete online applications with all required supporting documents must be submitted no later than midnight (Central Standard Time) on Friday, March 8, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. The timestamp of the online application and emails will be used to determine the submission time.
Incomplete and late applications will not be considered. Scholarship winners will be announced on the ILACHE website and at our annual conference: Friday, April 19, 2019 at University of Illinois at Chicago.
Visit our website or send an e-mail:
ILACHE Scholarship Committee