Before coming for your free consultation or first session, please take a moment to read and complete the following. Thank you!
Spiritual direction is a way of becoming more aware of the presence and movement of God in your everyday life. It creates a safe place where we can listen together for God’s loving invitations and guidance, acknowledging that the Holy Spirit is the true Director. It invites a deeper relationship with God, a clearer understanding of your true, authentic self, and a greater awareness of how God is working and where God is leading. In our noisy and busy world, it’s a wonderful way to care for the soul and rest in God.
Because each person is unique, spiritual direction looks different from person to person and session to session. A typical session might include conversation about a question or issue you’re bringing for discernment, moments of silence, guided prayer, inner healing prayer (including some parts work, if desired), and meditative Scripture reading. We can enter into our focused time together in any of these ways as you choose. Throughout the session we will follow the Spirit’s leading as we prayerfully talk, listen, reflect, and explore. And we’ll end our time together with a prayer and blessing.
- Certificate in Spiritual Direction, The Selah Center for Spiritual Formation, Nashville, TN (June 2019)
- Certificate in Ignatian Spiritual Direction, The Selah Center for Spiritual Formation, Nashville, TN (May 2021)
- The 19th annotation of the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius, a nine-month extended personal retreat experience (2019-2020)
- Transformation Ministries Identity First Conference, Nashville, TN (August 2017)
- Transformation Ministries School of Transformation, with HeartSync Ministry training, Nashville, TN (Student Fall 2017; Intern Spring 2018)
- HeartSync Ministry Six-Week Practicum, Nashville, TN (Fall 2018)
- Leader of workshops, retreats, and care classes at Providence Church, Mt. Juliet, TN (Journey to Freedom, Anxiety and Depression, Boundaries, The Voice of the Heart, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality, Soul Journaling, Java & Journaling, Journaling as Prayer, Boundaries for Your Soul, How We Love and other Marriage and Parenting classes with Neil Sharpe, a marriage and family therapist) (2018-present)
- Tend Your Heart 6-week Online Journaling Retreat (Peace Seekers Community of Exploring Peace Ministries) (Fall 2021)
- Lightworks (Group experience in the Spiritual Exercises) (Fall 2021-Spring 2022)
- 25+ years leading women’s groups, Bible studies, and events
Unlike counseling, which addresses psychological issues and problem solving, spiritual direction focuses on your relationship with God—and is dependent on the leading of the Holy Spirit. The focus of our sessions together is on intimacy with God, not on solving problems.
Spiritual direction is separate and distinct from other forms of counseling such as pastoral counseling, psychotherapy, or analysis. Although it is appropriate at times to discuss psychological and relational difficulties in the context of spiritual direction, I am not a psychotherapist and do not offer such services. Spiritual direction also does not provide financial, professional, relational, or health advice; and any decisions and actions you may take in that regard are done without my advice or recommendation and are your responsibility. Our relationship will center on helping you grow with God through prayer and discernment.
If it should become apparent during spiritual direction that therapeutic work with a counselor also would be beneficial, I have connections with a number of counselors and would be able to make a referral or recommendation. In some instances, it may be appropriate to put spiritual direction on hold until after doing therapy for a period of time, while in others it is helpful to continue both simultaneously.
Time of Sessions & Changes:
Our sessions are scheduled for 60 minutes, and we both commit to begin and end on time. If you need to change or cancel your appointment, please let me know at least 24 hours in advance. (If I should experience an emergency requiring rescheduling, I will contact you directly as well.) You will be charged for half of any session that is missed or cancelled without 24-hour notice (unless due to sickness or emergency). You may schedule an appointment online or by contacting me via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (615.424.1488).
Our usual rhythm is to meet once a month. However, there may be times when you need to meet more frequently or desire a longer session. Please let me know in advance, and I will be happy to accommodate your needs. If you would like to share a success or problem in between sessions, you may email or call me. Though there is no additional fee for this time, I do ask that extra phone calls are kept to a few minutes.
Unless you have made other arrangements, the suggested fee for our time together is $65.00/hour. Payments are due at the time of each session. You may pay online, cash, or check (make payable to “Sally Sharpe”). If the fee is prohibitive for you, please discuss it with me and ask about my sliding scale.
For Providence Church members:
If you attend Providence Church, you may have two hours of spiritual direction paid for by the church. The same missed session/cancellation policy applies, and the church will be charged for half the session.
You have a right to expect confidentiality of the information we share with each other. I commit to holding our conversations in the strictest confidence. If your sessions are paid for by Providence Church, you will be assigned a number when I bill the church to uphold your privacy.
I will not reveal the content of our conversations unless I am required to do so by law or court order, such as the following circumstances.
1. When there is threat or risk of self-harm (suicide), or harm to another person (homicide).
2. When there is “reasonable cause” to suspect abuse or neglect of a child, disabled or elderly person, from anything reported in a direction session.
3. When I receive a subpoena issued from a judge or court.
4. When a directee waives privilege by bringing charges or filing a suit.
These situations are rare in Spiritual Direction. If one should arise, I will make every effort to discuss it with you before taking action.
As part of my professional practice, I may consult with other spiritual directors through a spiritual direction supervision group regarding our work together. This is intended solely to provide additional perspective when necessary in order for me to be fully present, listen, and guide you in your journey. Your identity will never be revealed during this time, and anything I share will be held in confidence. If you have any questions or concerns about this practice, please let me know, and I will be happy to talk with you about it.
The format of Spiritual Direction may not be for everyone. You may discontinue Spiritual Direction at any time. Please give advance notice if you intend to discontinue meeting together.