- Art submissions must fit the themes outlined above.
- Each student (ages 7-19) may enter up to 2 pieces of art.
- Completely original hand-done artwork. No tracing, photography, or computer-generated artwork.
- Both wet and dry mediums are welcome.
- You may look at photographs or other art for ideas, but do not copy them. We want to see your creativity at work!
- Flat, two-dimensional artwork less than ¼” thick (not including mat or frame). This means no sculpture or other 3D aspects more than ¼” thick.
- Maximum size for the piece by itself is 36” x 36”. You do not need to factor in the framing or matting, and there is no minimum size.
- All submissions must be suitable for all audiences. HSLDA reserves the right to reject entries that are gratuitously violent, sexually suggestive, vulgar, or otherwise explicitly offensive.
Preparing Your Entry
Once your artwork is completed, you will submit an electronic version of it by attaching a photo or scan of it to your entry form.
If you plan to photograph your artwork (versus scan it), here is a short article to learn more about how to do so in a way that presents it well.
We understand that technololgy can experience problems at inconvenient times. If you have any issues creating or attaching an electronic copy of your artwork, please email our Contest Coordinator, who will be happy to work with you to ensure we can receive your entry.
- Fee is $10 per entry with membership, $15 per regular entry.
Each student may submit 2 pieces of art.
- Each art entry requires its own Entry Fee and online Entry Form submission.
- The entry fee may be paid via the HSLDA Store. See "How to Enter" for instructions.
Contact (540-338-8670) if you have any questions regarding payment.
Where the Contest Profits Go
All contest profits support our charitable program HSLDA Compassion, through which we provide low-income homeschooling families with grants, scholarships, and other educational and legal resources to help them continue homeschooling in hard times.
To learn more about HSLDA Compassion or read stories of some of the families served, visit hslda.org/compassion.
If your artwork is selected as a winner or honorable mention, you will be asked to mail us the framed original, which will be on display at the HSLDA headquarters in Purcellville, Virginia, for one year following the contest.
- Winners should be framed with a simple and lightweight matte and/or frame. We recommend families consider the cost of shipping when selecting a frame.
- If glass is desired in the framing, use plexiglass instead of breakable glass. We have received damaged artwork from glass shattering in the mail. HSLDA cannot be held responsible for artwork damaged during shipment.
- These frames will be mounted to the wall with Command Strips of varying weight capacities, so hardware is not necessary.