While all students with appropriate interests and backgrounds are encouraged to participate in the NRT THINKER program, there are restrictions on eligibility for receiving graduate stipend through a Fellowship. Eligibility does not ensure a Fellowship award. Applications are reviewed and offers are made in Fall semesters.
1. Funded Fellowship recipients must be American citizens or legal permanent residents. Note: F-1 Visa status is not eligible for this program.
2. Applicants should have sufficient background and interest in engineering, computing, organizational psychology or human factors to successfully participate in the program requirements.
3. Participants should discuss the home department requirements to gauge the impact of THINKER requirements on time and resources. There are two THINKER required courses, one in first fall semester and the other in the first spring semester of program participation.
4. Students accepted as Fellows must have identified and obtained the agreement of a faculty mentor to act as their primary advisor.
5. In most cases, THINKER stipends in the amout of $34,000 are available for 2 years of a PhD program or 1 year of an MS program. Funding in additional years is dependent on availability from other faculty or departmental resources outside the THINKER program. Participants should discuss this with their faculty mentor and have a clear plan for support throughout their graduate experience.